cherry blossoms

cherry blossoms

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

the car is not broken!

The car is not broken! which is very good news.  Yesterday, while driving to pick up Nolan at the airport -- Nolan who is like my brother and is an actor and is currently staying with us while he performs for the Croswell show this weekend  --- anyway, yesterday, while driving to pick up Nolan at the airport, I hit a piece of drywall with a metal piece sticking up.  I couldn't miss it; I was pinned in my traffic -- no where to go but straight.  argh
Anyway, when I got to the airport I turned off the engine to check the car; as I did the car began to smoke.  Someone nearby said that he smelled antifreeze, so as Nolan came out, we checked stuff; popped the hood and removed the radiator cap; added about a 1/2 gallon of water; drove to the nearest gas station; added antifreeze; limped the car home (50 miles away); and drove it to the garage.
The good news is this morning the garage called --- they can't find anything wrong with the car.
So who knows why it smoked yesterday and why we had to add water and antifreeze to the radiator.  It has healed itself!
I wrote a symphony piece about driving --- I call it Morning Commute and every time I play it on Finale (Finale is the musical notation software program I use) the piece makes me laugh.  I hear the traffic, the turn signal, the passing cars, the monotony of going the same way in the same way every day, the surprise of seeing something new.  It ends with the car door closing and the key fob beep to lock the door.  I want to hear it live, but I'm going to have to create a reason for someone to play it, so I guess I have to put it into a musical piece.
Finding a home for music that I write is a challenge.
Several years ago Michael and I wrote a piece as an auction item for very dear friends of ours --- the Toncres.  It's called "You Are Everything to Me" and we actually have performed it several times -- for the Toncres, in an ASO concert, a Hillsdale Chorale concert, and we've sung the song at several weddings.  But it still didn't have "a home" --- until last week when Michael and I realized it belongs in "Semi-Private" so I'm pleased.
One of the very first pieces I wrote as an adult didn't have a home for literally 30 years; so I deliberately worked it into "Jack and the Beanstalk." Now it's the cloud music as Jack is climbing the beanstalk.
Compositions need homes.
I've got to figure out a way to share "Morning Commute" with you.  hmmmm. I suppose I could create a video.

No comments:

Post a Comment